Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Sculptures

These sculptures are some of my older works, but as I continue my schooling, the more I realize how much I enjoyed working with 3-Dimensional mediums and would love to continue to pursue this type of work, along with painting. Next year in school I will be working towards earning my BFA (Bachelor of Fine Arts) and while I want to focus mostly on painting, I will also be taking sculpture classes, so in the future, watch for some of my new 3-D artworks.




Untitled 2010

I recently created this piece in a class called 3-D design. We had to take a linear object, in this case the copper wire, and make it into a 3-dimensional object. Although it is only about 10 inches tall it took over 100 feet of wire to complete. I am very happy with it, and I love the copper wire with the green colored patina.


Contortion 2009

For our project from stone we were required to choose something organic and abstract it. I chose the human figure because that is where I have chosen to focus my artwork. The challenge came in trying to make the figure interesting and display it in a way the world is not used to seeing it. While I was trying to decide how to best accomplish this, I stumbled upon a picture of a contortionist. I love working with this idea, and while I have never felt that I was very good at abstraction, I gained a love for this type of work, and from this project have stemmed ideas for other works, and I am excited about the new direction it has helped me pursue.

Marriage 2009

In this bronze piece we were asked to abstract an important life event. This was a big stretching exercise for me. I wanted to express my love for my husband and my gratitude for our marriage, but it can be very easy to turn something that sacred and beautiful into something corny. In the end I am very pleased with the way it turned out, and the symbolism displayed in this piece is very important to me. I will not go into details about its meaning, because my hope is that everyone is able to take from it their own meaning and importance.




No comments:

Post a Comment