Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Vintage Figures

These images come from a project I completed in my figure painting class. We were asked to buy a certain kind of sketchpad and fill the whole notebook in two weeks, each spread having at least ¾ of a figure on it. I have a love for clothing from the 1950’s and had been researching a little about it. This inspired me to go buy used patterns and collage them on every page of the notebook. I then found old images from original patterns from the 50’s and drew one on each page of the notebook. To add more interest and separate the figure and ground, I colored the figures with nu pastels, and cut the pages around the figures. I love the diagrammatic feel and clean interesting lines that are created by the layering of the patterns. In the end I was extremely pleased with the way it turned out. After completion of this project we created one large piece that was inspired by our sketchbook, and I feel that it is also successful.



Notebook
5"x 8"
2010






Fitting the Pattern
24" x 30"
2010




No comments:

Post a Comment